Monday, May 23, 2016

Respect was Alive and Well

The reason why I choose to quit my job rather than allow my boss's boss to treat me with disrespect was because I thought I had nothing to lose--well, except my job--by standing up to him. The old saying "I was looking for a job when I found this one" was my reasoning when asked how I could leave one job before securing another.  My rationale was solid: I was living at home with my parents, money wasn't an issue, and I would absolutely not give that man permission to treat me with such low regard. Nope! No way! Not happening! As it turned out, my drawing a line in the sand worked. I received an apology, I went back to work, respect was alive and well, and all was as it should be.

Shortly after I quit and then came back to WIFE Radio Station, I quit for good. My bags were packed and I was moving to either England or California. But which one? I couldn't decide. It came down to a coin flip; California won. Carol Lewis, a friend from high school and a WIFE co-worker, Sue Cline, agreed to go with me to Los Angeles to help me scout out a place to stay, but even before we reached LA, I was missing my boyfriend and ready to come back home. I thought I could leave him and his mistreatment of me behind in Indiana, but I was wrong.

The reason why I choose to stay in a disrespectful relationship rather than walk away was because I thought I had everything to lose, but I was wrong. It took nine years before I figured out just how wrong I was. When I finally gave my notice that I was leaving, quitting, going bye-bye, adios, later gator...things did not go well at the going-away party.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some not very nice comments from people named Anonymous, I now have to monitor comments before they are published.