Monday, May 9, 2016

At the End of the Day

My hindsight has redeemed itself. It's awake; it's pulled its head out of the sand, and it's now fulfilling its job description: reviewing past events and providing clarity, understanding, and perspective.  That may seem like a simple task, but it's anything but simple if it's your job to follow me around all day, log everything I do, analyze and critique it, try to make sense of it, and then, at the end of the day, give me a report card showing how good or bad I handled myself in the events of the day.

There is a saying my son uses when talking about those things in life that he feels are important and those that aren't: "At the end of the day, what really matters is..." he will say, and then he will explain his rationale for his opinion.

Jason has a very active hindsight working for him. It takes its job very, very seriously, and it doesn't tolerate slackers (more about that later). I have to wonder...does my son's hindsight come to him at the end of each day with an accordion folder--you know, the kind that expands from 1" to 18"--jammed-packed full of the day's events? Does his hindsight sit down with him and go over every little detail of every event, staying up really late to make sure no detail is left untouched?  The reason I ask that question is because my hindsight doesn't write anything down and it starts to nod off at 8:30 every evening.

Jason's hindsight and my hindsight don't always see eye-to-eye. Jason's hindsight doesn't tolerate slackers very well. It believes that if a hindsight is supposed to start working the minute its person wakes up, then it should wake up fifteen minutes early, have its coffee already, and be ready to log events the moment its person's feet hit the floor. My hindsight likes to sleep in, all curled up in the down comforter, so you can see the rub here. Like I said...they don't see eye-to-eye. But here's the good news. They get along very well because they have great respect for each other.


Next subject for blog: Respect...coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to some not very nice comments from people named Anonymous, I now have to monitor comments before they are published.